Digital Signage by the Numbers: The Connection Between Employee Training and Customer Experience

3 min read
Published July 22, 2021   |  Last Updated April 17, 2024

In today’s world, the definition of customer experience (CX) is somewhat different than 10 years ago, or even two years ago. It is a constantly changing mix of brick-and-mortar and online experiences. As recently as 2019, nearly half of shoppers still preferred making in-person purchases, even though 87% start their research or the ordering process online or with a mobile app. Even for those making purchases via e-commerce, the experience is often a hybrid one, still involving in-person interactions like curbside pickup or home delivery.

Regardless of the permanence of this most recent shift towards online shopping, the customer experience will likely remain a key factor affecting which stores (or e-commerce sites) earn shopper loyalty. Providing a positive experience requires all employees to be truly dedicated and engaged—whether they are salespersons, online advisors and customer support, personal shoppers, warehouse workers, delivery drivers, or any other role.

And making customers happy means employees must be adequately trained, not only to do their jobs effectively but also to advance their careers to make them happy. Let’s take a look at how employee engagement affects the end customer experience, and how employee training can play a big part to improve both.


By the numbers: Why training matters to your customers

We recently examined how the level of customer service can impact a store’s traffic. While we needn’t revisit that article in its entirety, some of this data demonstrates how poor employee training can affect the customer experience and actually rob retailers of potential profits:

In other words, if your employees aren’t trained to be knowledgeable and provide the best possible customer experience, you’re leaving money on the table. And many of those disappointed customers will simply take their business elsewhere.


And more numbers: Why training matters to your employees

The level of training you provide your employees obviously matters to your customers and your bottom line, but it also matters to your employees. Consider these figures:

Unfortunately for many companies—and their customers—Gallup reports employee engagement stands at a mere 35 percent. That means the other 65 percent are probably not feeling appreciated or valued, and that likely translates to a poor customer experience and poor retention.


Lack of employee training can mean a lackluster customer experience—but workplace digital signage can help

So, where do all these numbers lead us?

First, customers have a much higher rate of satisfaction when an organization’s employees are knowledgeable and engaged. Second, two-thirds of workers are actively disengaged in their work, which negatively affects the customer experience and customer retention. Third, according to workers a sure way to boost employee engagement and workplace satisfaction is to help them grow their careers. It only stands to reason, then, that employers need to do a better job of training and career development.

However, in many industries—retail and manufacturing are just two examples—a large number of employees are desk-less. That is, they don’t have a desk or access to a computer—nor even access to the corporate intranet—and therefore cannot take part in online training. Nor are there always time, budget, or facilities to provide these workers with traditional classroom training.


Workplace digital signage provides an excellent alternative. With digital signage, organizations can provide any employee—including non-desk employees—with dynamic, modern, hands-on learning experiences which require no classrooms or computers. And the content can be updated at any time without retraining instructors, printing new materials, or scheduling costly travel for refresher courses.

We'd love to share our new eBook that explains how to use workplace digital signage to provide “anytime anywhere” employee training to your entire staff. Training that helps your employees develop their potential, boosts overall employee engagement, and, in turn, improves the customer experience. Download it now.

Describe your image